Best Super Zoom Point and Shoot Digital Cameras
If a long zoom is your priority when looking for your next digital camera, then consider the models below. These models are the highest rated super zoom point and shoots tested by Consumer Reports.
CR Reports Conclusions
Best Value Super Zoom-Surprisingly, the best super zoom out of the 3 is the lower priced Fujifilm Finepix S1500FD. This camera has a high 12x optical zoom AND 5.7X digital zoom, though the 12x is the important thing. The reason why we chose this one as being the best value of the bunch is simply because it has great zoom capabilities , a very high ISO 6400 value, 10 mega pixels AND a low price. Our tests yielded stunning up close pictures even in very low light conditions. This camera simply had the best quality, all around capabilities even when compared to the more expensive cameras. So with this camera, you can get up close and personal even in very low lighting situations. This should please people who seek excellent low light and high zoom capabilities. View this camera at Amazon.com
Highest Zoom- If the highest zoom value is the most important thing for you, then the Canon Powershot SX10 IS is our choice for you. This camera has an amazing 20x zoom lens that will allow you to capture even the finest of details up close. One disappointing thing is that the ISO value is 1600 which is high by most standards but for the price, we would have liked to have seen maybe a 6400 ISO. It also has the same mega pixel quality as the Fujifilm Finepix S1500FD yet is twice the price. That being said, the lens is probably the single most expensive component of a camera so the premium is all in the lens. View this Camera at Amazon.com
Super zoom Camera Summary ordered by Price.
Fujifilm FinePix S1500FD
The Fujifilm FinePix S1500 is the lowest priced super zoom point and shoot tested by CR. This camera has some nice features considering the price and with a 12X optical zoom, you will be sure to capture some great detail from a distance.
- 10.0 Megapixels for stunning prints as large as 16 x 20 inches
- 12x Optical Zoom , 5.7X Digital Zoom
- Zoom lens – 5.9 mm – 70.8 mm – f/2.8-5.0
- Huge, Bright 3.0-inch High-Resolution LCD
- Up to 6400 ISO for excellent low light shots.
Sample S1500 Image
Canon Powershot SX200
The Canon Powershot SX200 is rated a Consumer Reports best buy for 2009 in the super zoom category and has high marks from users. This camera features a 12X optical zoom .
- 12.0 Megapixels for stunning prints
- 12x Optical Zoom
- HD movie shooting capability plus HDMI output for easy playback of video and photos on your HDTV
- Large 3.0-inch High-Resolution LCD
- Blink Detection alerts a shooter after a shot has been taken that a subject had closed eyes
Sample SX200 Image
Canon Powershot SX10 IS
The Powershot SX10 IS is the highest rated super zoom point and shoot in the consumer reports tests. This camera features a powerful 20X optical zoom which is the highest in the group.
- 10.0 Megapixels for stunning prints
- 20x Optical Zoom. Focal length of 5.0-100mm (35mm film equivalent: 28-560mm) that lets you take shots from wide-angle to telephoto
- High 1600 ISO for excellent low light shots
- 2.5-inch High-Resolution LCD
- Optical image stabilizer and face detection
Sample SX10 Image